Tuesday, January 20, 2009

2-step equations in Math 7, 2nd Q

Chrissy Nordmark made the following observation, and she is correct in what she noticed.

"I noticed that there is a 2-step problem on the Math 7 midterm, yet 2-step problems are not on the curriculum? Are we supposed to teach 2-step problems?"

So now the question is this – should we fix the curriculum to include 2-step equations, or should we fix the exam to exclude 2-step equations? I can make this decision myself, but I would prefer that a consensus be reached among the teachers of math 7. Your input is appreciated. The changes would not take effect until next year.

Sam.

4 comments:

SamElias said...

Posted by Sam on behalf of Greg Jones:
"Fix the exam. Two step should not be addressed until 8th grade. Spend extra time mastering one step."

SamElias said...

Posted on behalf of Alan Sowa by Sam:
"I’ll update the blog, but I’ve always thought that there should be at least two step equations in math 7. They get enough one step work in elementary."

Amanda Jez said...

I think that they should learn the two step equations.

AMS said...

The 2-step equations should be in the curriculum. I believe originally we had that, but it never ended up in the curriculum. It is a small step to extend to multiple steps, since they see that in 6th grade, though not in detail.